Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Week #5 Reading Respons- Slave Revolution in the Caribbean 1789-1804

I'm going to comment on all the little readings together since they are all in the same book and share a lot of themes. I'm just going to shoot down thoughts as soon as I think of them.

So I thought a lot of the passages that we read were really interesting. I really liked the action from some of the readings. The one where it was about the start of the rebellion probably had the most action in all of them. Its pretty cool that this is the only slave rebellion in the history of the world to really work. The slaves rebelled and ended up with their own country, but I thought the Europeans where pretty much asking for it with all the slaves they put on the island. There was something like a 10 to 1 ratio of slaves to Europeans. Its kind of weird to think that the Europeans made a situation where they put themselves into the minority. And this is probably where a lot of racism started. There is probably always going to be some sort of racism by a group of people where one race largely outnumbers another one. And it was interesting to see the men preferred being with black women instead of white European women. Britain actually imported more women from Europe in the hopes that this trend would quickly end. But to think there was no a lot of prejudice on generation, and then two generations later there is a lot is kind of hard to think about. That seems like very little time for such a change in the culture. You could also see the racism in the reading about the start of the rebellion. The author obvious was white because he made the black slaves sound like savages and evil for wanting to rebel. I mean come on, they just wanted to be free and saw that this was the only way. It seemed like the black slaves were getting treated worse religous  and worse through the generations. And maybe this is why they started performing crazy ceremonies where they drink blood, but that source can not be 100% accurate. I also found it interesting with how much power the women had at the time. It seemed like most the women were free, and there children were also free. Thats a lot of power and it seems like at this time in history women were not given a lot of respect that are are given today. I also really liked the letters of Thomas Jefferson, its almost like he knew something bad was going to happen with slavery later in the history of out country. And its also interesting to see the amount of interest the U.S. had in they slave revolt. They probably payed close attention to make sure nothing like that would happen in the U.S. But slavery would still remain a huge issue as we al know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment